Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

sunday bloody sunday-

Literally. After a week of no signs of blood, I've began bleeding again. There's enough blood to need to change tampons several times a day. I started last Sunday my second pack of mini-pills. This coming Tuesday will be 6 weeks since the induction. I just hope this blood is considered normal and it's no indication of something being wrong down there. 

I have developed much more anxiety than my regular "I'm overthinking" kind of days. Every time I call my husband and he doesn't pick up I think he's gotten in an accident or has been mugged. I picture myself as a twenty-something year old widow, childless. My grandfather hasn't been well during the last couple of days, and every time my phone rings I expect someone to tell me he has died. I keep imagining his death, and I often find myself crying because he'll never get to meet my *living* baby. These thoughts usually come at night so I have adopted the habit of working even later until I feel I'll fall asleep quickly. I don't know what to do to stop thinking about my fears. 

I have been thinking a lot about Christmas and how it will go down this year. When in Boston, fall was my favorite season, and Christmas was definitely my favorite holiday. The songs, the shopping, the snow. The awesome feeling of finals being over and the cheering and toasting for a new year. Flying back home to family who I'd missed dearly. And even though my grandparents didn't celebrate Christmas, these two weeks home were the best with them. 

Two and a half years ago my grandmother died. My grandfather agreed to come to dinner with us (first time in 22 years) and we dine in our matching Christmas PJs. 

This year, I had first imagined Christmas with a newborn. It would have been literally my dream come true. I've always loved the season and couldn't think of a better one to welcome my first child. We all know how this dream turned out. 

The second time around, I was cautious enough to not think of the future until after the 12 week scan. After that, I'd lie if I'd say I did not imagine myself with my big belly and matching PJs on December 24th. This isn't happening either. 

I now have to shop for all the children in our family (there are plenty), and watch the season go by as people clearly forget about the amount of pain I'm in. 

Instead of Christmas with a newborn or Christmas with a belly about to pop, I have to deal with my family asking me why I'm not coming over to their homes as often, telling me to move on, that a month has gone by and I am doing nothing to help myself, that I am "stuck" in the same place I was 6 weeks ago, and that blogging isn't helpful as it gives me the wrong idea of how I should grieve. (As if there is a standard way of grieving... As if there's a standard way to grieve when having terminated such a wanted pregnancy.)

It seems everyone but me has forgotten what I have lived. And in part, I am to blame for the pain I put myself through. I am to blame for having chosen the induction, for having been awake when the doctors gave me an injection to stop my baby's heart. I am to blame for wanting to hold my child in my arms, even if it was just for a couple of hours, even if it meant seeing his red, tiny, cold, cute sleeping self wrapped in a blanket and then taken away forever.  

Sometimes I tell myself all I need is a friend to share my feelings with. But will I ever be able to share everything that's going through my head with a friend? I don't think it's worth sharing... I don't have a single friend that would understand my thoughts. 

I proceeded to order a candle from the "I live in your light" project for our babies. I can imagine this will be the only gift our babies get this Christmas... I must admit it is quite hard to shop for two dead babies. 

3 comments:

  1. It has taken me 18 months to talk about my loss with others. And still I don't talk much about it - it is too hard to explain to people. As to the bleeding, you did give birth so it is expected, but if it doesn't settle down, do get checked out. It may also be your AF returning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the anxiety. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and reach over and touch my husband to be sure he was still breathing. I panicked when he wasn't home when I expected. This has improved, but we had our first snow yesterday and I was so worried about him getting home. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop (again). All of this is to say that I think how you are feeling is normal (unfortunately). I wish I could say something to help. I did ask my husband to let me know if he was running late, etc. as just one small way to ease my anxiety...

    As for people telling you to move on, I have no more eloquent way to say it than screw them. They don't understand. You will start to feel better when you do. It can't be rushed. They just don't get it.

    I'm thinking of you with the holidays approaching. They are so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very sorry for all you've been through. I relate to this more than I'd like to.
    As for the bleeding, do you think it is your period? Since it's been six weeks, perhaps it is a new cycle starting... I hope it has started to subside a little by now.
    I too was imagining a little belly this Christmas. And now I have one, but not for the reason I had hoped (stubborn belly fat.) l am hoping the holidays go by quickly for us both.
    And as for moving on, and sharing with others, this is something that will be with you always. You will always remember your babies and nobody should expect you to forget them. And you are not to blame so please do not feel guilty. Nobody wishes this or wants this or tries to have this happen; if you could have prevented it you would have. It is just crappy, crappy, nonexistent luck.
    Big hugs to you <3

    ReplyDelete